What is Normal Liver?
One of the main functional organs of the human body is liver. It helps in digesting supplements of our body like proteins, fat, maintains the composition of blood, regulates hormones and stores important vitamins as well as minerals in the body. It is also known as the detoxifier of the body as it helps in detoxifying blood from extra and harmful substances.
What is Fatty Liver?
When there is deposition of fat in the liver, this condition is known as fatty liver. The intercellular spaces and space in between the tissues get filled in the liver leading to heavier and bulky liver which is known as fatty liver. Fat cells saturate good and healthy liver resulting in pain due to an enlarged and bloated liver.
What are the Causes of Fatty Liver?
When liver cannot break down fat, fat starts depositing in the tissue spaces leading to fatty liver. But there are several reasons which can lead to the development of this disease as follows:
What are the Risk Factors which can Cause Fatty Liver?
There are various risk factors which can lead to the development of fatty liver :
Types of Fatty Liver
Depending upon the etiological factor, it can be classified into 2 types:
1) Alcoholic Fatty Liver
When body’s normal metabolic functions get impaired due to heavy alcohol consumption the condition is known as fatty liver disease.
2) Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver
When the body does not break fat because of various related diseases it leads to a condition known as a non-alcoholic fatty liver.
Symptoms of Fatty Liver
Some very important symptoms in the patients with the fatty liver are as follows:
- Loss of appetite
- Gas and bloating
- Feeling fatigued and tired
- Dark urine and constipation
- Enlarged liver
- Weight loss
- Pain in abdomen
- Physical weakness
- Confusion and trouble in concentrating
Diagnosis of Fatty Liver
There are various diagnostic methods like physical examination, blood tests, Imaging studies and Biopsy etc.
1) Physical Examination
By examining the abdominal area, an enlarged liver can be diagnosed. If you are suffering from appetite loss and weight loss, let your doctor know. If you have a history of alcohol consumption, any type of medications or usage of any supplements. It will help your doctor to reach proper conclusion.
2) Blood Tests
Liver enzymes are higher in fatty liver condition than normal in a blood test. But still, other tests need to be done to determine the levels of inflammation.
3) Imaging Studies
Various imaging studies can be carried out to diagnose fatty liver disease:
- CT scan
But these are not confirmatory studies, a liver biopsy should be done to reach a final decision.
3) Liver Biopsy
During biopsy of the liver, your doctor will insert a needle in the liver so as to remove a piece of tissue from the liver. This will help you to reach a final diagnosis and also to know the exact reason.
How To Treat Fatty Liver in Modern Science?
According to modern medicine, there is no surgery and medication to treat fatty liver.
- Lose weight and avoid alcohol will make it better, increase your daily physical activity and eliminate some heavy food items from your diet.
- If still fatty liver is not treated it can result in liver diseases and cirrhosis. But to completely eradicate the disease, herbal therapies can be approached which are proved to be very beneficial for the treatment of fatty liver.
Ayurvedic Herbs to Treat Fatty Liver Naturally
Here we are describing the best quality, safe and ayurvedic herbs for natural treatment of fatty liver.
1) Bhumi Amla
- This herb grows in wet rainforests and grows freely.
- Its properties to clear pitta helps in treating fatty liver disease.
- It has beneficial effects in treating gastrointestinal diseases like inflammation, gas, and dysentery.
- Bhumi amla is a wonderful herb which helps in treating liver diseases.
- Bhumi amla is used to eradicate the risk factors like type 2 diabetes as bhumi amla is anti-diabetic.
- Daily usage of 2-3 grams bhumi amla for few days will help in reversing the fatty liver.
- Bhumi amla is also available in juice form and daily 10ml intake of bhumi amla juice will help in the treatment of fatty liver.
- It is a rare herb.
- It is found in Himalayan region.
- The root of katuki has a bitter taste. But its anti-inflammatory properties, liver protective properties, cooling, laxative properties helps in reversing the fatty liver.
- For adults, 1-3 grams of katuki and for children, 500mg-1 grams is the suggested dosage.
- Have katuki twice daily with plain water after meals will help in the treatment of fatty liver.
- This herb is found in the western Himalayas but at a height of 3000-5000 meters.
- It is a great herb for liver diseases.
- This shows direct beneficial action on the liver functioning.
- It helps to regulate the formation and elimination of bile from the gallbladder and liver.
- This herb can also be taken in the form of tea or in the powdered form.
- It is also known as wonder cherry and black nightshade.
- It’s liver protecting properties helps in reducing alkaline phosphatase levels and in treating fatty liver.
- Make vegetables of makoy and eat on daily basis for about 10 to 15 days.
- Drink 150 to 160 ml makoy juice to treat the problem of an enlarged liver.
- This herb grows in tropical areas and warm temperature.
- Its hepatic protecting properties helps in eradication of fatty liver.
- Instead of spinach, bhringraj can be used.
- Steam the leaves, boil and daily intake of the same will help in the treatment of this disease.
- It has wonderful hepato protecting properties which help in the treatment of fatty liver.
- It can be taken as a liver tonic which helps in reducing inflammation and removing toxins from the body.
- It helps in treating liver, bile and kidney disorders.
- Because of its diuretic properties, it helps in treating fatty liver.
8) Milk Thistle
- It helps to detoxify full body especially liver.
- It helps to treat fatty liver.
- Regular intake of this herb will help in reversing this disease.
- Due to its fat burning properties, it helps in restoring liver damage as well as fatty liver.
- Add in cooking food or daily have 2-3 cloves to treat fatty liver.
- It helps in prevention of liver diseases due to its hepatoprotective properties.
- It can be taken in powdered or juice form.
- Daily intake of sharpunkha helps in reversing the fatty liver condition.